Thursday, January 21, 2010

Snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory

By Dave

A TPM Reader recounts their conversation with Barney Frank (D-MA):
I live in Barney Frank's district, and I called his office this morning. To my surprise, he took my call and I asked him why on earth couldn't the House simply pass the Senate version of the health care bill. He told me straight up that the votes weren't there to pass the Senate bill. He said that labor is totally against it, the abortion caucus is against it, and more than a few progressives were against it.
I asked him about Democrats' prospects in the 2010 election if they don't get something done on health care. He told me it would be worse electorally for Democrats if they passed the bill versus dropping it and facing voters having done nothing. I told him I disagreed with him on that point, but I suppose he knows more about this stuff than I do. I hope.

I whole heartedly agree that if Democrats let HCR die, there will be disaster in November.

But Franks comments are illuminating. What is the problem here? Why won't House Dems pass the Senate bill? The answer: Democratic rank-and-file won't let them. It's our fault. We haven't given them the political cover.

Some Democrats, let's call them Hamsher Democrats, appear to be totally delusional. They talk as though they are oblivious to Senate politics. And so they lobby the House to hold a position that will ultimately yeild nothing for Americans. They say public option, or nothing.

Let's be clear, the Senate Bill will cover an additional 30 million Americans, begin to control costs, reduce the deficit, create stability for the unemployed, give access to those with pre-existing conditions, and add other regulations that will make our system more moral and just. But the Hamsher Dems say this just simply is not enough and when given the choice, they prefer nothing at all. They are out of their minds. If this sounds like your friend, coworker, spouse, or colleague, please, tell them to take a deep breath, look clearly at the political landscape, and stop hurting reform.

Tell them to, at least, recognize self-interest. If Democrats pass reform soon, they will face a difficult but manageable mid-term election. If they fold, or fail because of trivia, they might as well give the Republicans the keys back now, because it is all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment